Thursday, November 6, 2008

How soon you forget

I can't believe its that time of year when its necessary to have lights on midday so you can see in your own house. We have had 1 run of cool weather (40s) but now the gloom has set in and it comes with flurries tomorrow. and yes I'm excited!

I don't know how I manage to forget that we spend a good 7 months in the freezing cold and black dark! Don't get me wrong I LOVE IT!! I enjoy having a few lights on during the gloomy days to create warmth, I love cooking warm hearty soups and wearing multiple layers because I'm too cheap to turn the heat up past 65. I'm just simply amazed that I forget its like this every year and then surprised when its 1 pm and pitch black in my house.

On a brighter note I opened a bottle of wine tonight that was a screw off Merlot, you gotta love the simplicity of that! I remember buying a case of this stuff because the picture on the label was pretty. I had no idea it was a screw off top but it worked for me tonight. It paired lovely with a Gerard's Spinach salad, cheesy garlic bread and Pasta Figioli soup. I used the recipe from A Year of Crockpotting and it was very good. Let me be the first to say when Stephanie is done with her year of crockpotting I will be very sad, I hope she goes for another year.

Speaking of crock pots, I need a soup recipe that is good for 3-5 yrs old. The kids Harvest Festival is the week of Turkey Day at school and I'm not really sure what a bunch of 3-5 yr old will eat from a crock pot. So let me know your ideas.

No comments: